PARK HISTORY
 

 

Hillsborough Hall was built in 1779 as a residence for Thomas Steade, formerly of the nearby Burrowlee House.  It was called Hillsborough Hall in honour of a patron, Lord Downshire of Hillsborough, in County Down.  Then the name Hillsborough applied initially only to this property, but in recent times it has come into common usage for the whole area. 

At the same time as the Hall several outbuildings and a walled garden were constructed including the Coach House.  The whole was set in a substantial enclosed park. 

 

  Thomas’s son Broughton Steade inherited the house in 1793.

Thomas sold it in 1801 to
John Rimington Wilson of Broomhead Hall.

His widow in turn sold it in 1838 to
John Rodgers of the cutlery firm Joseph Rogers & Sons at which time it became known as Hall rather than House.
 

Between 1852 and 1860 the Hall was occupied by the family of Edward Bury FRS (1794 — 1858) who, after a career with London to Birmingham Railway and the Great Northern Railway turned his attention to co-founding the Sheffield steel firm of Bedford Bury and Co., Edward Bury merits a separate historic plaque on the building.

After the Bury family the house passed in 1860 to 
Ernest Benzon a German born financier who sold it in 1865 to James Willis Dixon of the world famous silversmiths, James Dixon & Sons, whose works were in Cornish Place.

 

Eventually after the death of James Willis Dixon junior in 1890 the estate was split into lots and Sheffield Corporation bought the lot which included the hall and 50 acres which became Hillsborough Park

In 1899 a ten acre site of the property was released to build a football ground, after which the rest of the park and property was gifted to the people of Sheffield.

In 1906 it re-opened as a public library and park






Community Web Kit provided free by BT