Hillsborough Park Walled Garden

Hillsborough Walled Garden is situated in Hillsborough Park next to Middlewood Road. 

The walled garden dates back to 1779.  Food was grown there for many years for the various owners of Hillsborough Hall. 

In 1903 the ownership of the hall and parkland passed to Sheffield City Council, the garden becoming a nursery and training centre for the council’s gardeners for 80 years.  The garden suffered several years of decline during the 1980's due to cutbacks in park maintenance budgets. 

In 1991 Hillsborough Community Development Trust helped redevelop the site as a community garden.   As an entrance to the garden, Liverpool F.C. donated a replica of Anfield's Shankly Gates as a tribute to the people who died in the Hillsborough football ground disaster.

The memorial area of the garden, which is the paved area closest to the old Coach House, was formally opened to the public by the Duke of Kent on 29th June 1993.


The Trust continued to manage the garden until December 2005, when it once again became under the management of the council.

See a plan of the garden here - Walled Garden Plan

See the leaflet about the garden from 1994 - Walled Garden Leaflet

See the video below about the redevelopment of the garden in 1991



And how it looked in 2012






Community Web Kit provided free by BT